Skip to main content

Understanding Roof Costs

Roofs are one of the most expensive items to fix on a home. Your roof covers and protects your entire home from the elements. Keeping your roof in tip top shape is important for not only the longevity of your roof, but also in preventing water leaks, loss of energy, and other potential issues. If you think you might have some damage from hail, wind, or even a large tree branch, now is the time to get it inspected. You can hire a roof inspector for around $200 unless you believe you need to make a Homeowners Insurance Claim. If you go the insurance route, the insurance company will send out an inspector for you.

If you don’t understand what roof costs include, keep on reading for a break down on what a roof costs on average.

How much will a new roof cost?

A new roof is estimated to cost around $8,000 on average. However, the cost of your roof could be more or less than this average depending on many factors. The largest deciding factor in determining your cost is labor, size of the roof, and layout. Having a very steep roof will likely drive up your final cost.

According to Angi Price Guide, 60% of the price of a roof is labor and overhead costs whereas the remaining 40% is the materials. There are many different types of materials to choose from as well as different grades. Since a roof is made to last on average 20 years, you want to go with the best quality you can afford. Keep in mind when choosing a shingle, you also want to go with something that will not only protect your home and last but will also compliment your home and the neighborhood.

Different Types of Roofing Materials

Asphalt Shingles

Asphalt Shingles are a popular choice and one of the most common. There are many options in color and style to choose from. Not only do you have a great number of options to choose from they are durable and relatively inexpensive.

Asphalt shingles will cost around $1.50 – $5.50 a square foot, depending on your choice of shingle and roof specifications.

Metal or Tin

A Metal roof is a popular one here in the south. Not only are they super durable, but they also require very little maintenance. Metal roofs do require a little more work at installation than asphalt shingles. There are also quite a few material choices available now to choose from.

A Metal roof will cost around $10.00 – $17.65 a square foot, depending on which materials you choose.


A Tile roof is not only durable but are easy to repair. There are a variety of colors to choose from to accent your home and boost your curb appeal. The two of the most popular types of tiles are clay and concrete.

A Tile roof will cost around $4.00 – $16.00 a square foot, depending on the type of tile you choose.


Slate roofs are one of the most expensive, however, they are one of the most durable. Not only are slate roofs completely fireproof, but they are weather resistant. They can withstand colder climates, snow, ice, heavy winds, and heavy rains. The true durability of this stone roof makes it one of the last roofs you will ever put on your home. Keep in mind, a slate roof is heavy so make sure your homes structure can withstand the weight.

A slate roof will cost around $30 – $75 a square foot installed.

Other Roofing Materials That Determine Costs

When it comes to roofs, you do have other materials that can drive your costs. Shingles, are a large part of those materials but some other items that can drive up a cost are as follows:

  • Glue
  • Roofing Paper
  • Roof Nails
  • Boots
  • Drip Edge
  • Staples

Some of these materials are needed for some types of roofs and not others. However, with any roof you have to keep in mind there will be other materials needed for installation of your roof. There are quite a bit of different options when it comes to roofs, so you can choose one that fits into your budget and compliments your home.

Who would we be if we didn’t mention insurance? A roof is important, so make sure your home has the proper coverage on your homeowner’s insurance policy to ensure if there is ever significant damage that your home and its roof are covered.

If you need some help reviewing your policy or are interested in a quote, start one online or give us a call at 770-720-1314.